Mold is every homeowner’s worst nightmare and unfortunately, it naturally exists in every home in the form of spores. The problem is that if any wet space in your home is a material the spores can eat, such as drywall or wood, it will lead to structural damage if it goes untreated and undetected.
But how do you know if the spores are dangerous mold, or if they’re causing damage to your home? Knowing what to look for is the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones from the dangers of mold.
What Mold Looks Like
Most people have a picture in their minds of what mold looks like. They imagine a green or black blotchy, soft substance that spreads over a surface until it takes over. Unfortunately, there are so many different types of molds (thousands, even!) that the visual cues of mold vary greatly.
You’ll want to look for the moisture that leads to mold growth, rather than the mold itself. Water will be much easier to see and identify than mold. Check for signs of water damage on your walls, ceilings and floors. If you find any, that’s where the mold is most likely to be hiding.
Some common mold appearances include a thread-shaped white substance, a collection of black spots, or a green stain like what you see on rotten food.
What Mold Smells Like
A moldy smell may be easier to identify than some of the other mold signs. If you can smell a musty odor that just won’t go away, that’s a big clue that you have a mold problem. The smell may vary depending on the type of mold and where it’s growing in your home.
Not all mold has a smell, though, so just because you don’t smell mold doesn’t mean you’re out of the woods.
Other Signs Of Mold
Maybe you can’t see or smell the mold, but if you experience any of these other signs, there may be mold in your home.
- A persistent cold and cough that you can’t shake. You may be reacting to mold that you’re breathing in every day. If you feel better when you leave home and have symptoms that return when you come back, consider that you might have a mold problem.
- Repeated headaches or nosebleeds. Either of these could be symptoms of consistent mold exposure.
- Excess moisture. If you notice excess moisture in your home, this may indicate a potential mold problem.
If you find signs of mold in your home, either smells or visible mold, you may want to conduct mold testing to determine the extent of the problem. And if you just have physical symptoms, mold testing can clear up whether mold is the cause of those symptoms or not. Also, knowing the extent of the issue will help ensure the repair team you hire gives you an accurate price.
You Found Mold, Now What?
Regardless of how much mold you find or what kind of mold it is, it’s best to take steps to remove it. While some mold is harmless, others can cause serious health problems for those living in the home.
And even if you don’t see any of these signs of mold, if you have a nagging suspicion that there’s mold in your home, you can always reach out to a professional.
Have questions or think you might have mold in your Greater Cincinnati or Dayton home? Contact HighTek Home Inspections today to schedule your mold inspection! For more tips and our latest updates, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest or Instagram